This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Heat Map Intensity

Mar 3, 2015 at 7:27 PM
I have been trying to wrap my head around the intensity field. I read your definition "Intensity - This is a fixed intensity value between 0.0 and 1.0. This value is only applicable if "Record Count" is selected above"

After playing around with the intensity, at first i thought it was the intensity of the color, meaning how dark/bold each color is, but after playing more, it seemed when intensity is higher, the black (most intense color) was showing a larger radius than when intensity setting was lower. So the center of the heat map seemed to fluctuate in size based on this setting. When you have a few minutes, can you help me understand this? Thanks for the solution, its great!
Coordinator
Mar 3, 2015 at 8:09 PM
Edited Mar 5, 2015 at 3:36 PM
I would be lying if I said I fully understood it myself. I didn't create that functionality, it uses this Heat Map Module for Bing Maps. Intensity is one of the required parameters when generating the heat spots.

The simplest explanation I have is that the intensity setting is the "brightness" of a single point on the map. When two points overlap, the brightness is cumulative within the overlap area. It should not affect the radius of a single point. But it could increase the perceived radius of overlapping points.
Edit: Let me add something about radius. If you set a very low intensity, then a single point can appear to have a very small radius, mainly because there's not enough colours to represent the full radius. And the inverse is also true, a high intensity setting can "wash out" an area of the map.

In our usage, when you choose Record Count, each individual point on the map is equally weighted. The intensity setting is the constant value of what you want that weight to be.

That setting doesn't apply if you base the heat map on a numeric value, because in that case each point on the map is NOT equally weighted. Instead the weight of each individual point is calculated at runtime based on the numeric value of each point.

I think 50% is good for most cases. Unless you have a very tightly populated map and need to see more granularity, then you might want to lower that number.