Chart Map v3.0 Alpha Released!

Coordinator
Oct 20, 2014 at 5:41 PM
Edited Oct 28, 2014 at 10:22 PM
The primary focus of version 2.0 was additional features. Version 3.0 will focus on technical and performance improvements, as well as bug fixes.
This has been a long time coming. This project started out as a simple single hardcoded html page. And has since grown into something significantly larger and more powerful. However due to the fast growth, there has been a lot of bloat and shortcuts that have gone into the code to make it work. This new release is going to fix all of the things I ever didn't like about it. The new version will be technically superior in every way. It will have roughly 30% less code, with better adherence to best practices and will have faster execution, all without sacrificing any features.

The one, and only one, notable feature that is being added in 3.0 is the option to display all records on a single map. There will be a new configuration option added, that will allow admins to choose whether the number of records shown on the map should be determined dynamically by the user's settings (50, 100, 250, etc), or if it should display all records from the current view, up to a maximum of 5000.

This is one of the biggest features that has been requested since the very beginning of this project. I've had my concerns around it regarding performance. That's why I've waited until after the caching feature was implemented, and also the full code clean-up/re-write that is happening in v3.0 in order to insure the shortest possible page load time and the best possible user experience.

Update: The first release is available now: https://crmmapchart.codeplex.com/releases/view/135550

Follow the instructions on that page to install.
Also, be aware this is an alpha. It is functional, but it is not fully complete at this time. Some bugs should be expected.

Anyone willing to try this version, I would appreciate any feedback you can provide, including any issues you may encounter.
Oct 23, 2014 at 6:47 AM
When already? :-)
Coordinator
Oct 24, 2014 at 11:50 PM
fvakiliev wrote:
When already? :-)
Impatient much? ;)
Oct 28, 2014 at 1:00 PM
Hi Wedge,

nice Alpha release. Thanks!
I have some feedback on your new release (from a superuser point of view):

Standard map;
Previous version had an issue when trying to show the location of 1 record. This new version solves this issue...nice!

Heat map:
In the chart map config, when 'Heat Intensity Based On' = 'numeric field value', please consider a record of which the Numeric Field (e.a. estimatedvalue) is null as '0'.
3.0 has a conflict when there is a value missing (it'll freeze or it'll paint the chart map area completely red or blue or.. )

IE9:
Im mostly using Chrome, but when i tried IE9, id notice that the 'standard' map type loads, but i dont see the locations/pins of the records (same goes for heat map).
I did a HTML5 test using the url below which was OK.
http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/performance/fishbowl/
How can i make this work on IE9?

Thanks!
Coordinator
Oct 28, 2014 at 3:21 PM
Edited Oct 28, 2014 at 10:24 PM
Hey thanks for the feedback! I will definitely be looking into those issues.
I should mention that IE9 was the minimum supported version of IE that I was targeting. There is nothing that I am aware that isn't IE9 compatible, but I'll do some more testing in that version.
Previous version had an issue when trying to show the location of 1 record. This new version solves this issue...nice!
The cool thing about that, is that nothing was specifically done to fix that issue. It was fixed by default just by all the technical improvements.
Oct 29, 2014 at 4:52 PM
Hi wedge!

Fantastic work! But it doesn't work on my CRM 2013 ONLINE. I set the options like your capture, but the graphic map appears in blank. Do you know what can I do?

Thanks so much!
Oct 30, 2014 at 5:03 AM
I have the same result on my CRM 2011 On-Premise.
Blank map and javascript error:
SCRIPT5009: 'XPathResult' is undefined
dd_XMLParser.js, line 130 character 17
Oct 30, 2014 at 11:48 AM
Edited Oct 30, 2014 at 11:53 AM
Watch out, there is a major bug in the component "CrmChartMap.CrmChartMapPlugin.PostChartMapEntityCreate" that fires when the solution is deinstalled/deleted!
-> The effect ist, that SYSTEMWIDE NO solutions can be deinstalled/deleted anymore!!!
To solve it and be able to delete solutions again go to the standardsolution and DEACTIVATE the above step from the SDK messages.

Crm Exception: Message: Unexpected exception from plug-in (Execute): CrmChartMap.CrmChartMapPlugin.PostChartMapEntityCreate: System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary., ErrorCode: -2147220956
DB3CRMS107APW02-w3wp(28500#951EE012)-CRMWeb-20141030-3.log

Execute: CrmException: CrmChartMap.CrmChartMapPlugin, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=d814a26c3c31d90f; 80040224; Unexpected exception from plug-in (Execute): CrmChartMap.CrmChartMapPlugin.PostChartMapEntityCreate: System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
DB3CRMS107APW02-w3wp(28500#951EE012)-CRMWeb-20141030-3.log
Coordinator
Oct 30, 2014 at 4:14 PM
fvakiliev wrote:
Which browser are you using when you get that error?
Oct 31, 2014 at 4:51 AM
wedge905 wrote:
fvakiliev wrote:
Which browser are you using when you get that error?
IE 10/11, but with Chrome 38.0.2125.111 work fine
Coordinator
Nov 1, 2014 at 3:05 AM
Edited Nov 1, 2014 at 3:07 AM
fvakiliev wrote:
I don't have a new solution, but if you update to the latest version of dd_RESTService.js that should take care of the IE issue

https://crmmapchart.codeplex.com/SourceControl/latest#CrmPackage/WebResources/Script (JScript)/dd_RESTService.js
Nov 5, 2014 at 8:32 AM
wedge905 wrote:
fvakiliev wrote:
I don't have a new solution, but if you update to the latest version of dd_RESTService.js that should take care of the IE issue

https://crmmapchart.codeplex.com/SourceControl/latest#CrmPackage/WebResources/Script (JScript)/dd_RESTService.js
Yes!
Coordinator
Nov 6, 2014 at 10:09 PM
Edited Nov 6, 2014 at 10:11 PM
marioraunig wrote:
Watch out, there is a major bug in the component "CrmChartMap.CrmChartMapPlugin.PostChartMapEntityCreate" that fires when the solution is deinstalled/deleted!
-> The effect ist, that SYSTEMWIDE NO solutions can be deinstalled/deleted anymore!!!
To solve it and be able to delete solutions again go to the standardsolution and DEACTIVATE the above step from the SDK messages.
I thought I had disabled that. That is still a work in progress. The previous version required that you manually delete all chart maps before you can uninstall the solution. The new code that's throwing that error is meant to automate that deletion, but isn't working properly yet. The plugin step in question is executing synchronously pre-Delete of the Solution entity.
Apr 17, 2016 at 3:35 PM
Edited Apr 19, 2016 at 11:45 AM
This is a brilliant solution, thanks for all your effort in building and supporting it!

I have two pieces of feedback/observations on the Alpha release, not sure if you've already got them:
  1. When I embed a chart in a dashboard, I get a "The chart could not be rendered for the record type." error message
  2. When I click on the pin's infobox, the URL to the actual record does nothing. The same problem exists in Chrome, Firefox and IE.
Thanks!

EDIT: just noticed that the pin infobox URLs do work when there are multiple pins in one location, but when the pin only refers to one record the link doesn't work