This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Supported?

Jun 17, 2013 at 6:41 AM
Hello,

thanks for sharing this great solution!

Would you assume that the sourc-code belongs to the "supported customization" category? Because using the "effectiveFetchXml" seems not be documenten in the SDK?

Regards,

Daniel
Coordinator
Jun 17, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Edited Jun 17, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Hi Daniel,

You are correct. The line referring to the effectiveFetchXml is the one and only "unsupported" line of code in this project. Normally I would avoid doing anything like that. However, in this case, Microsoft has not given any alternative.
There is no supported way to get the up-to-date current list of results from within a custom chart item. There is a supported way to get the current viewId, which could be used to get a list of results. However, if the list has been filtered, or if the user did any kind of search, there is no way for a custom chart to retrieve that list. Only the unsupported effectiveFetchXml is able to do that.

Working with "unsupported" code is all about risk management. In this case my opinion is that the risk is very minimal, because it's just a single line of code. And the effectiveFetchXml that it refers to is a core piece of code within CRM that is not likely to change in any significant way.

So, if/when the time comes that Microsoft offers a supported method to accomplish what I need, I will gladly convert over to it. Until that time, I see no issue with doing it this way. I will continue to support it, and keep it working with each new roll-up.

Regards,
Matt
Jun 17, 2013 at 1:29 PM
thanks for the feeback.

Daniel
Feb 25, 2014 at 1:40 PM
Hello,

I has used this with CRM 2013 and all seems to be working fine but I was just wondering if the effectiveFetchXml is still unsupported or if you found a supported way to get the up-to-date current list of results?

Thanks in advance,
PJC
Coordinator
Mar 12, 2014 at 9:33 PM
It still is unsupported. But the good news is that it is still working.
Coordinator
Aug 30, 2014 at 12:41 AM
Edited Sep 2, 2014 at 7:28 PM
Just an update on this: The effectiveFetchXml is still in use and still unsupported. However, from version 2.1 and up, the map now has a fallback solution. If the effectiveFetchXml is unavailable or fails for any reason, it will automatically revert to using the default view that is provided to the chart from the grid. This will not include any user filters, but it is a supported feature, and it will work indefinitely or until MS says otherwise.

What this means is that if some future CRM update breaks this unsupported feature, the map will still continue working with slightly diminished functionality.